Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The wheels are back on

So I have felt sluggish ever since the 50K. Last week, we did a lot of running and the legs felt decent.

Today, it was time for a test. I had the morning off (my one patient cancelled; you gotta love rheumatology). Biked to the Y to run on the treadmill. The weather outside was really nice but I felt like doing a completely reproducible distance. I have run maybe 10 5K tempos on the treadmill over the winter with a PR of 17:04.

Today, I ran a 17:07. I think the wheels are back on. I didn't feel as good as when I ran the 17:04 effortlessly last month but this time I was coming off a hard week and had just eaten a big breakfast. The legs hurt a little in places but overall things were good.

I'm almost done with residency. What a strange feeling Last year at this time, I felt like I knew everything there was to know about medicine; now it scares me to think about practicing on my own.

I saw a patient in clinic my first year who went on to have a horrible clinical course. We missed a diagnosis of something pretty serious but it was, honestly, mostly the radiologist's fault. There was a meeting about this patient today, where I played a minor role as the intern who had dictated the first famous note.

The problem was that my note screamed "horrible disease X", while we treated a presumed, and much less serious disease Y. The guy spent two months in the hospital and had 10 surgeries for this problem! He was correctly diagnosed two days after we had seen him so it probably wouldn't have made a huge difference what we did. But still. It turns out the hospital settled out of court for an undisclosed amount.

I have three three patient complaints (that I know of). Two were completely unfounded but one probably had some legitimacy (I may have missed that a patient had an allergy to a medication, although, thankfully, the allergy wasn't listed in her chart. She may have told me during our visit but that's the part I can't remember.

It really is hard to be someone's doctor. I don't know if I am ready for that amount of trust to be put in be. Oh well.

1 comment:

SteveQ said...

The fact that you aren't sure you're ready is a good sign; it'll keep you out of trouble for a while. I don't know how anyone doing 24-36 hour shifts (or have they shortened now?)keeps from missing details.

An obstetrician I know says she's never had a less than perfect delivery that didn't come with at least the threat of malpractice.