Monday, August 18, 2008

Another 5K

Worked all weekend in the ER. Friday night wasn't too busy but I got almost no sleep as there was a constant trickle of something to be dealt with. I had set the alarm for 7:30 and, against better judgment, got up to get ready for the race.

This was a classic small-town race. The local high school kids were there as were a few fit middle-aged adults, like myself. I did not have a chance to really warm up and didn't feel good at all. On the other hand, I wanted to test out the legs since I have been feeling so good lately.

The answer was indeterminate. Not a great race but not a disaster, either.

A young guy took off like lightning. I should know better, but I went after him to get some shelter from the headwind. The first half mile has huge hill; he charged up so fast I had to give him a few feet. But, of course, as these high schoolers always do, he completely blew up and didn't even try to hold on when I passed him. The rest of the race was uneventful. THe legs felt heavy and the course was hilly.

My time was 16:44. I gotta feel good about runnning that fast on a hilly course without a warmup. But, then again, the legs weren't as zippy as I had expected.

Next race is in two weeks. Another 5K. Goal is less than 16:20.

1 comment:

Danni said...

Sounds like a good race to me!